To link your Twitter account with your DLD profile, we need you to enter your DLD Email and Password. You only do this once.
To link your Facebook account with your DLD profile, we need you to enter your DLD Email and Password. You only do this once.
Company: European Commission
Title: Head of Cabinet of the President
Fields of operation: Politics
- - Selmayr studied law at the Universities of Geneva and Passau, at King's College London and at the University of California (Berkeley/Davis).
- - He holds a doctorate in law, having completed his thesis on "The Law of Economic and Monetary Union" at the University of Passau in 2001.
- - From 1998 to 2000, Selmayr worked first as Legal Counsel, then as external Legal Advisor for the European Central Bank in Frankfurt am Main.
- - In 2000, he was Visiting Official at the Legal Department of the International Monetary Fund in Washington D.C. where he worked on the arrangements for the representation of the euro area in International Financial Institutions.
- - In 2001, Selmayr changed to the private sector where he started as Legal Advisor of the international media company Bertelsmann, working chiefly on competition law matters. In 2003, Selmayr became Vice-President Legal & Government Relations and Head of the Brussels Office of Bertelsmann.
- - Having succeeded in a competition for lawyers, Selmayr joined the European Commission on 1 November 2004 and became a Commission official. He was appointed Commission Spokesperson for Information Society and Media, the portfolio under the responsibility of EU Commissioner Viviane Reding (Luxembourg).
- - In February 2010, Selmayr became Head of Cabinet of Viviane Reding in her new function as EU Commissioner for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship and Vice-President of the European Commission.
- - In 2014, Selmayr became Principal Advisor in the European Commission's Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN).
- - In April 2014, Selmayr was appointed Campaign Director for Jean-Claude Juncker, the European People’s Party's (EPP) lead candidate for the European Parliament elections. He took an unpaid leave of absence from the European Commission during the electoral campaign.
- - In July 2014, Selmayr was appointed Head of the Transition Team of Jean-Claude Juncker, President- elect of the European Commission.
- - In November 2014, Selmayr was appointed Head of Cabinet of Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission.
- - In his (rare) spare time, Selmayr is lecturing European Union Law at the Universities of Passau, Saarbrücken and at the Danube University in Krems (Austria). He has written several books and numerous articles on European Union law, in particular on the Treaty of Lisbon, the Law of Economic and Monetary Union and EU Competition Law. Since 2010, he is Professor for European Economic and Finance Law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Saarbrücken.
- - Selmayr is fluent in English, French and German (mother tongue) and also knows some Spanish, Italian, Russian and Polish.